Registration for the Mediating Scale Conference 2022 is now open. Please click the link below.
All presentations are free to attend on Zoom Events but you must register in order to gain access to the platform.
Full programme details can be found below. All presentations will take place over Zoom.
All times are in Central European Summer Time (CEST).
Thursday 16th June
Sara Upstone / Kristian Shaw
Friday 17th June
Concepción Cortés Zulueta
|5pm||Panel 3: |
Saturday 18th June
|5pm||Panel 5: |
Patrick Brian Smith
Keynote sessions will be around 90 minutes long including a question-and-answer session.
Please click the links below for more details.
Thursday 16th June:
Friday 17th June:
Saturday 18th June:
Please click on the talk titles for the full abstract and biography of the speaker(s).
Thursday 16th June, 5-6.30pm – Panel 1
- Yazdanmehr Gordanpour (University of British Columbia)
Close Reading in the Age of Climate Change: Scale in Interpretative Methodologies
- Professor Sara Upstone (Kingston University) and Dr Kristian Shaw (University of Lincoln)
Simultaneity of Scale: Contemporary Transglossic Literature
Friday 17th June, 11am-1pm – Panel 2
- Dustin Breitling (Masaryk University)
Scaling the Mesocosm
- Dr Concepción Cortés Zulueta (University of Málaga)
Looking through the myriad lenses of a fly’s eye: the persistence and transformations of an entomological scale play and a microscopic-telescopic experience
- Dr Julie Momméja (Lumière Lyon 2 University)
Expanding Timescales: the Long Now Foundation and its Longue Durée Clock
Friday 17th June, 5-6.30pm – Panel 3
- Dr Anushka Peres (University of Nevada, Reno)
- Sasha Crawford-Holland (University of Chicago)
Oppressive Heat: Scaling Extreme Weather in Local Television
Saturday 18th June, 11am-1pm – Panel 4
- Dr Andrew Fisher (Film and TV School of Academy of Performing Arts (FAMU), Prague)
Flusser, Simondon and the scales of contemporary photography
- Dr Laurence Kent (University of Cambridge)
The Cosmic Non-Place: Intelligence and Scale in Frant Gwo’s The Wandering Earth
- Dr Provides Ng (Bartlett School of Architecture (UCL))
Universal Basic Service: Scalability of CFHT & DAO 衣食住行 • 道
Saturday 18th June, 5-6.30pm – Panel 5
- Dr Patrick Brian Smith (University of Warwick)
Media and Forensics: Activism Across Investigatory Scales
- Dr Piotr Szpunar (University at Albany, SUNY)
Spectroscopic Pasts and Tele-scoping Futures on the Red Planet